Spinach (Palak in Hindi and soppu in Kannada and also khire in tamil) and potatoes are one of everyone’s all-time favorite vegetables because of the fresh taste and variety of sides for roti and chapatti is been prepared in many parts of India. I tried new type of dish for chapatti which could also be taken as sides for rice and naan. Here I disclose it !!!
Potato pieces- 1 cup
Green chilies- 2-3 sliced into half
Cumin- 1 tb sp.
Lemon- 1 slice
Pepper powder- ½ tb spoon
Salt to taste
Coriander/ Cilantro leaves
Mustard seeds, oil and turmeric- to saute
(Optional: tamarind and jaggery as taste enhancers)
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, turmeric, cumin seeds and coriander leaves (Cleaned and washed in water).
- Add green chilies and potatoes. Saute in oil until potatoes are cooked. Make sure to add little water when required.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add palak leaves (finely chopped) and stir for 2-3 minutes. Water can be added for maintaining required consistency.
- Add lemon, pepper and salt. Boil this for 5 minutes.
- Here, palak is not over cooked, as you can see lemon, pepper and salt are added soon after allowing palak on heat for 2 minutes. This makes clear that palak taste is retained. Green chilies will give hot taste while lemon will be tangy.
- Serve with chapathi.