Biryani masala powder – 2-4 tb sp.
Chilli powder- 1 tb sp.
Onions- 2 cut into slices
Tomatoes- 4-5 cut into slices (for 1/100g cup rice)
Green peas- ½ cup
Coconut milk- ½ cup
Basmati rice (long grain rice) - 1 cup
Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves– 4-5 each
Cumin seeds - 2 tb sp.
Bay leaves – 2 leaves
Green chilies- 2, long slit
Salt to taste
Coriander/cilantro –to garnish
- Add oil in a pan and let it heat for a minute. Add all spices (Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, bay leaves) followed by green chilies. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until species are fried.
- Add onions fry nicely to golden brown color; add chilli powder, biryani masala powder and mix.
- Add tomatoes and peas, pour coconut milk. fry for next 5 minutes until raw smell vanishes.
- At end, add rice and salt. Make sure rice is fried for few minutes and then add double the amount of water. Check salt taste and adjust as per requirement. Allow for 3 whistles in pressure cooker.
- Garnish with coriander leaves (optional) while you serve hot.
Cooking time- 25 minutes
P.S. If you do not want to use Biryani masala powder, it can be substituted with the "To grind" given below
Bay leaves (2), Cinnamon (4-5 sticks), coriander leaves (1/2 cup), funnel seeds (1/4 cup), cumin, pepper, cloves (2 tb sp.) Cardamom (5-6), red chilli powder (3 tb sp.)
Fry all the ingredients in warm pan and cool it, grind it in a blender under dry conditions and store in cool place, out of moisture.