Friday, August 31, 2012
Dosa, idly, upma, chapati, poori, akki rotti all kinds of breakfast would be boring sometime and you actually feel like I want something else. I WANT TO TRY DIFFERENT :)
Why dont you guys try some thing different for a holiday/ weekend breakfast. You must be thinking and scratching your head for just a breakfast. I keep an option of Dhoklas for you.
Dhoklas also known as gram flour steamed snack, a Gujarati dish made in just few minutes and easier than before. It is usually made up of chickpea flour but also prepared using sooji or rice flour. Dhoklas are very soft if prepared perfectly and served with mint chutney or tomato chutney. The mustard seeds on top along with curry leaves and green chilies make anyone melt like butter. Its not a normal regular breakfast food in South India but no harm in trying it out today !!!
Here's I go!
Chickpeas - 1 cup
Ginger- 5-8 pieces of small size or 2 tb sp paste
Cumin/Jeera- 2 tb sp.
Eno or baking soda- 1/4 tb sp.
Curd- 1/4 cup
Curry leaves- few leaves
Coriander leaves- few
Mustard seeds and oil
Vinegar- 5 tb sp.
Sugar- to saturate in vinegar
Salt to taste
You need a big steamer or a idly stand and a pressure cooker. I do not have a idly stand or a big pressure cooking so I used a big pot which had a lead closed tightly. Just the basic is to create steam inside to bake dhoklas.
1. Add chickpeas, jeera, salt, ginger pieces and curd, bring this to thick consistency, nearest to idly batter.
2. Now place pot on a stove and add water to its 1/4th level and then reverse a container or another small pot inside. This was my stand on which I kept dhokla mix in a pan.
3. Let it boil. Now add baking soda or eno into batter and stir continuously for 3 minutes. The batter comes to double of the actual amount. This makes dhoklas smooth and pouf kind or cake texture.
4. Transfer into a pan and keep it at the centre on the inversed or reversely places contained. Close the pot with a lid and allow dhokla batter to cook under steam for 15-18 minutes.
5. An easy way to check whether its nicely baked or not is to poke with a knife. if the knife comes out with out any attached batter its perfect.
6. take out dhokla pan and cut into pieces. Add vinegar-sugar mixture on it.
7. On the another stove, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chilies. Take out and add on top of Dhoklas.
Oh my god! you will give the same expression while you eat.
Cooking time- 25 minutes
HAPPY COOKING :)