When I say Chole, we 1st remember rotis, pooris and chapatis. And when I say sundal we remember prasad that is given in temples. This is just a wide angle vision from North to South of India. However, I like temple prasad and also chole. Now when I have soaked garbanzos, I was thinking whether I should prepare a fabulous snack or a delicious breakfast and this confusion was cleared and I prepared Sundal curry. The name is southern version of chole and suits well with chapatis for Health concern or you can go ahead with pooris. My chole is bit different from typical chole batura as I add a different set of ingredients to make more tany and tasty.
Wanna try? Here is the recipe.
Oil, Mustard and coriander leaves
Garbanzo (Chole/sundal) soaked in water for overnight- 200 gms
Onion- 1/2 choppped
Tomato- 1 chopped and blended into puree
Green chili- 1
Curd/yoghurt- 1 tb sp. (for sweet taste)
Ginger - garlic paste
salt to taste
Lemon- to taste
Keep hot chapatis ready - 10
SPICEScoriander powder, curry leaves powder, Garam masala powder- 1/2 tb sp.
red chili powder- 2 tb sp.
Chole masala powder- 1/2 tb sp
COOKING1. keep garbanzos soaked in water for overnight and then cook it next day for 10 minutes
2. On the other side, in a preheated pan, heat oil ad add onions & ginger -garlic paste. Fry for 3/4 minutes and transfer to a blender and make it a paste
3. Separately make tomatoes and green chilli paste and keep aside.
4. Freshly, in a pan heat oil, then add mustard seeds and tomato puree. keep stirring for 2 minutes to make it cooked
5. add off onion paste to pan and cook this for few minutes. The tomato paste and onion paste mixes up well and leaves back raw smell. Then you can add all masalas/ spices and curd to pan.
6. keep adding water and stir constantly.
7. I add chole here once the curry consistency is visible and mix for 5 minutes. finish cooking by adding washed coriander leaves at end.
8. The last 5 minutes cooking brings all ingredients to 1 mixture and cooked well also.
Now when your chole/ sunday curry is ready to serve, keep hot chapatis ready and enjoy.
Serves- 3 people. Cooking time 20 -25 minutes
HAPPY COOKING :)