Muthia is a Gujarati dish which is made up of either cabbage or using kasuri methi leaves i.e., dried fenugreek leaves. The name came form the type of preparation and mixing all ingredients. I have few Gujarati friends who made me to taste this delicious one!!! This looks similar to dhokla in color as it is made up of besan and mustard seeds & curry leaves on top. Cabbage is not a usual favorite of many people at home. I have seen people making faces while eating cabbage. So, I also faced this problem at home. To convince cabbage also makes a good recipe, I tried Cabbage Muthia for dinner. This could also be a good snack
Here we go, try this and suggestions please
Cabbage- 2 cups
Milk- 1/2 cup
Wheat flour- 5.7 tb sp.
Red chillies- 5-7
Ginger- 10 peices
Green chillis- 2 chopped (as per taste required)
Funereal seeds- 1 tb sp.
Cumin seeds (jeera)- 1 tb sp.
Sesame seeds- 1 to 2 tb sp.
curry leaves- 5-6
coriander leaves- 1 hand full
coconut- grated to garnish
Pepper powder- 1 tb sp. freshly grinded
mustard seeds- 1 tb sp.
Turmeric- 1 tb sp.
Vinegar- 1 tb sp.
Sugar -1 tb sp.
Oil- 5-6 tb sp.
COOKING1. In a large bowl, mix Cabbage, gram flour, wheat flour, jeera, funereal and sesame seeds along with 4 tb sp. of oil, milk, green chillis, ginger, half coriander leaves, vinegar, sugar and salt (to taste)
2. Mix it for 5 minutes and then to make it to thick consistency water can also be used.
3. Spread on a metal pan which is coated with oil or butter. Pour cabbage mix on to it.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F and then keep the tray in oven for 25- 30 minutes. This is the case when you do not have a pressure cooker or a stream cooker.
5. usually this is cooked under steam, making it to small long sausage shaped. But here since I do not have steam or a pressure idly cooker, I used pan and trust me it comes really good.
6. Then after 25 minutes take it out and look whether its cooked by inserting a tooth prick and if it comes dry, it means its cooked.
7. Now cool for 5 minutes and then cut it into small pieces as shows in picture.
8. Heat a pan and pour remaining oil. Saute mustard seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and a little turmeric powder
9. Then add cut pieces. Pepper and salt, very little on top of it and garnish with coriander leaves and coconut by sprinkling on it.
serve Hot with pudina chutney or only muthia will also taste great.
Serves 4 people. Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
HAPPY COOKING :)