If anyone of you visited Malnad region in Karnataka, INDIA, I bet that you might have tasted this delicious snack. In my home town Shimoga, this was a favorite foodie place to hang out with cousins and friends. There are many small condiments outlet where you get to enjoy Mandakki masala, Corn masala, corn toasts, peni masala and what more!!! A similar recipe is what I am sharing here with my own way. I would say, this was 3.5/5 better when compared outlets in Shimoga in terms of taste and spicy.
So you can also try this and write to me whether you liked it or not.
Sweet corn- 1 full
Pomegranate- 1 hand full
Onion- 1/2 chopped
Red chilli paste- 1 tb sp.
Pepper powder- 1/4 tb sp.
Coconut- a hand full (grated)
CorianderButter- 1 tb sp.
Puffed rice (Mandakki)- 2 hand full
Garlic paste- 1/4 tb sp
Khara mixture- as topping (you can also use pieces of nipattu, chakkuli or any crispy mixture kind item)
Lemon to taste
Salt to taste
1. Take out the outer cover of the corn and separate the seeds as in picture. Boil it so that the seeds can be removed easily and it tastes good as well
2. Mix mandakki, onions, tomatoes, and all listed in Ingredients list except pomegranate, lemon, khara mixture and sweet corn.
3. Stir it well so as to get the red chilli spread completely.
4. then add sweet corn, mixture
5. Before you serve sprinkle pepper powder on top along with pomegranates and Khara mixture.
Now, jola masala is ready to eat. The Pomegranate gives a sweet taste while khara mixture- pepper spreads a bit peppery taste.
NOTE if not sweet corn, a normal butta/jola could also be used as the sweetness is taken care by pomegranate :)