Drumsticks also called as Murunga kai in Tamil / Nuggekai in Kannada huli is another delicious kolumbu which is a side recipe for either idly, dosa or with rice. This recipe is a bit modified from its original as I also used baked beans seeds.
(Sorry for fewer pictures!!!)
Drumsticks- long pieces- 20
Baked beans- 1 full cup
Tomato- 1 chopped
onions- 1/2 chopped
Coconut- 1/2 cup, grated
Curry leaves- 5-6
Red chillies- 2 (Optional. only for more spicy)
Kolumbu melagha powder- 2 tb sp. (If not available, use sambar powder)
Tamarind- thick paste, 2 tb sp.
Mustard seeds & oil
Corinader leaves- few
Salt to taste
1. In a pan, heat oil and saute mustard seeds and curry leaves
2. Add onions and tomatoes. Make sure to cook until its cooked to paste.
3. Now, add and cook drumsticks and baked beans and continue stirring for 10 minutes by adding water.
4. Once drumsticks are cooked, add tamarind paste, salt and Kolumbu powder along with coconut. Check for spicy and salt taste.
5. Allow all to mix for 5 more minutes and finish it with coriander leaves
Murunga kai kolumbu is ready to serve. Serve with hot rice
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes. Serves- 4 people
HAPPY COOKING GUYS :)